Obstructive sleep apnea is a condition that causes you to stop breathing while you’re sleeping. Untreated, this condition can lead to serious health complications, including heart damage and heart failure, arrhythmias, daytime drowsiness and motor vehicle accidents and sudden cardiac death, among others.
Symptoms of Obstructive Sleep Apnea include:
• Choking/gasping for air while sleeping
• Fatigue & daytime sleepiness
• Poor sleep quality
• Sleep fragmentation
• Nocturia (nocturnal urination)
• Sleep bruxism
• Neurocognitive deficits
• Mood disorders
• Morning headache
What can be done?
- A custom oral appliance can be fabricated for the management of obstructive sleep apnea. Many patients prefer these appliances instead of CPAP due to being more comfortable and easy to carry.
- Multiple studies show that they have comparable level of therapeutic effectiveness to PAP. In some cases both therapies can be combined.
- It is also a good option for frequent travelers that use PAP.